Applying for a passport is not as hard as most expect. Below is a simple process with links included to get you on your way to traveling abroad:
Step 1: Apply Early
Apply for your passport several months before your trip. Also, know your expiration date. Many countries require passports to have at least 6 months validity at the time of entry.
Step 2: Prepare Your Application
The U.S. Department of State has detailed guidelines on preparing your passport application. You can:
- Complete and print a passport application online.
- Get an application from a Post Office location that has passport acceptance services.
Step 3: Find a Post Office™
Post Offices may have limited hours for passport services. To be certain of service, call ahead and make an appointment. Use the PO Locator to find the nearest Post Office that offers passport services.
In a Hurry?
To get a new application processed quickly, you can:
- Request and pay for faster application processing service.
- Purchase Priority Mail Express® service to speed your application to and from the U.S. Department of State.
- Schedule an appointment at a Department of State passport agency.